Hit and Run Accident
You should take note of the Hit and Run Vehicle’s make, model and color, as well as the driver’s personal description. Also take note of the time and location of the accident, and the direction of travel the vehicle or persons involved.
If you wish to make a claim for compensation, the Insurance (Vehicle) Act requires that you make “all reasonable efforts” to ascertain the identity of the unknown driver.
What Does That Mean
The Court has found the following to be “reasonable steps” to ascertain the identity of the unknown driver:
- Contact the Police immediately and provide them with all information regarding the accident and the Hit and Run vehicle;
- Contact ICBC dial-a-claim and provide them with all information regarding the accident;
- Identify witnesses who saw the accident;
- Post signs at the scene of the accident to canvas for further witnesses;
- Post an advertisement in the newspaper to canvas for further witnesses; and
- Canvas businesses in the area who may have surveillance footage of the accident.
If you have been involved in a Hit and Run Accident, a lawyer can help you to understand the wide range of issues that arise.
If you would like advice or for more information regarding such matters please contact Chahal Priddle LLP at 250-372-3233 to set up an appointment today.